Our Printing Facilities
A major commitment to information choice in Pittsburgh.
Walk through NewsWorks, the Tribune-Review's $42 million printing facility, and you'll see:
- A state-of-the-art computer-to-plate system ensuring accurate registration on every page.
- A fully equipped packaging center that can insert, bundle, and ski products at top speeds.
NewsWorks is the state-of-the-art newspaper printing facility of the present. But it's also a plant constructed with an eye toward the future.
The design concept behind NewsWorks is to provide the necessary capacity to publish today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, with the added ability to handle future growth, without major construction. And if the future requires even greater expansion, that can occur with minimal operational disruptions.
For the long-term future, NewsWorks is already designed to double in size from the current building. And when that need arrives, construction can occur without interfering with daily operations.
NOTES ABOUT THIS SITE:
- Campus size - 13 acres.
- Square Footage - 145,000 (almost 3 football fields).
- Emergency power - 200 kilowatt diesel generator.
- The emergency generator allows platemaking to continue during a power outage, allowing press run immediately upon power restoration.
GOSS UNIVERSAL 70 SINGLE WIDTH PRESS
- 32 page broadsheet straight
- 64-page broadsheet collects
- Double width Press
- Digital Page Pack inking system
- 23" Coldset Press, 6 Reels, Run speed 60,000 per hour/nets -45,000 per hour
- 22" Cut-off
- Straight Tabloid format: 4-80 pages/4 page increments/Broadsheet up to 40 pages
- Collect Tabloid format: 88-160 pages/8 page increments/Broadsheets up to 80 pages
- 4-80 pages/ maximum of 56 pages Full color
- 88-160 pages/ maximum of 112 pages Full color
- Process colors only/spot color achieved through screened process inks
Press Cut off:
- 10.625" x 20.5" Image Area/ Broadsheet - Tabloid
- 11.5" x 22" Actual Size/ Broadsheet - Tabloid
- SLS 2000 - inserts 24 into 1
- SLS 1000 - insert 12 into 1
- SLS 200 (USAT) - 6 into 1
- Kirk Rudy - inserts 20 into 1
- Kirk Rudy 1 - inserts 16 into 1
- Kirk Rudy 2 - inserts 16 into 1
- Kirk Rudy Ink Jet Labeling system
GOSS METRO DOUBLE WIDTH PRESS
622 Cabin Hill Drive
Greensburg, PA 15601
- Straight Tabloid format… 4-64 pages/ 4 page increments/ Broadsheet up to 40 pages
- Collect Tabloid format… up to 1 pages/ 8 page increments/Broadsheets up to 128 pages
- Full color on 16 page broadsheet
- Spot color on 4 page broadsheet
- Full color on 32 Tabloid pages
- SLS 1000 - inserts 18 into 1
- 1472P - inserts 10 into 1
- McCain Stitcher/Trimmer
- Kirk-Rudy Ink Jet Labeling system
409 Walnut Street
McKeesport, PA 15132
- 28 page broadsheet straight with a maximum of 12 pages full color
- 56 page tabloid straight with a maximum of 24 pages full color
- 56 page Broadsheet collect with a maximum of 24 pages full color
- 112 page tabloid collect with a maximum of 48 pages full color
- 23" coldset press, run speed of 45,000 per hour
- 22.3/4" press cut off
Finish page size:
- Broadsheet 11.5" x 22.3/4"
- Tabloid 11.375" x 11.5"
- Broadsheet 10.625" x 20.5"
- Kansa Inserter - inserts 8 into 1
- Kirk-Rudy Ink Jet Labeling System
GOSS COMMUNITY SINGLE WIDTH PRESS
Monessen, PA 15062
- Eight-floor units/One stack color unit and lower folder for one folder singlewide with folder in middle of eight floor units.
- On-line quarterfolder
- 32 broad pages with two spot colors on one section only
- 56 page tabloid
Finished page sizes:
- (Broadsheet) 13W" X 21.5"H
- (Tabloid) 10.25W" X 13"H
- Press cut off 22.3/4"
- 20 broad pages/ full color front page, both sections and companions
- 8 page broad with 4/4
- 40 page tab with full color on one and companions
- 16 page tabloid with 4/4
DIDDIE UV WEB PRESS
202 Falcon Lane
Tarentum, PA 15084
- 8 ½ X 11", 10" X 11", 11" X 17" PRODUCT PRINTED ON 60# GLOSSY STOCK USING ULTRA-VIOLET HEAT SET …
- 60# and 80# offset stocks also available
- Prints 4/4 color on a single sheet
- Sheetfed operation capable of printing glossy card stocks at various sizes